I think everyone is more than ready for 2016 to come to an end and start a new year. This was just one of those years where every time you try and stay positive it seemed that a few weeks later something would happen that would bring you back down. Whether it was the death of so many stars or the ski season being delayed, I say it is time for 2016 to just come to an end already. Here is a list of the 10 reasons why this year needs to be over.
1) David Bowie – I have never met someone who didn’t like David Bowie. As a kid and to this day The Labyrinth is one of my favorite movies. Something about Bowie dancing around with puppets is just awesome. He will definitely be missed.
2) Chicago Cubs – This is more of a rough one for all those Indians fans. Having your team finally make it to the World Series after so many years is a great accomplishment in itself, but it is definitely a hard pill to swallow when your team loses the big one. Who knows….maybe 2017 will be the Rockies year.
3) Teletubbies – Why is this show back on TV? The Teletubbies scared me as a child and now I guess they can give nightmares a whole new generation.
4) Alan Rickman – I’m a huge Die Hard fan and when I heard that Hans Gruber had passed I was pretty upset. Alan Rickman was in so many memorable movies and it’s definitely a rough one to say goodbye to Severus Snape.
5) Prince – Prince was just one of those guys that was SO COOL! He was confident and beyond talented. His music will definitely stand the test of time.
6) Harambe – It’s always sad to see the death of an animal, especially under these circumstances. One positive about all of the exposure is that conservation programs are receiving increased exposure due to this.
7) Gene Wilder – The loss of the original Willy Wonka, not that creepy Johnny Depp version, is really depressing. Gene Wilder was in so many classic movies that will never get old.
8) Ski Season Delay – It was the middle of November and 50 degrees outside here in the Rocky Mountains. I usually don’t get too upset about missing a few early season turns, but it can be a little worrying that the season will never pick up. Luckily we have had some awesome powder days recently!
9) Sports Authority Closing – This store wasn’t always my first pick for outdoor gear, but it was always nice to know it was there if I needed to stop in quick and grab a new pair of ski socks. It’s also confusing what to start calling the Broncos Stadium now.
10) Zika Virus – Worrying about stepping outside and being bitten by a mosquito can really ruin your summer plans. The smell of repellent isn’t the greatest either.
Good news! Only a few more weeks left before we can close the book on the year of 2016. Here’s looking forward to 2017!